Friday, January 10, 2014

Movies I saw in MMXIII

I looked over the list of movies I saw in the theater this past year and was surprised at the total: 21.  Below is a quick one or two sentence review of each film and links to purchase on Amazon (my blatant attempt at revenue).  A couple of these were late 2012, but I'm including them on the 2013 list since this is the first time I've done this.  Some of these are over a year old so my recollection may be a tad hazy.  However this isn't going to be much more than a thumbs up/down kind of thing, so it should be fine.  Keep in mind this is very subjective.  You're opinions may vary.

Movies I saw in the theater, 2013:
  1. Lincoln - Really liked it a lot.  I'll see anything with Daniel Day Lewis.  A great director with a bunch of great actors making a movie about a great man during a pivotal time in American history. What else is there to say?  Thumbs Up
  2. The Conjuring - It was okay.  Parts of the plot seemed thrown together but a good horror movie. Surely we can find better parts for Ron Livingston.  It's alright.
  3. Argo - I had no idea what to expect.  I knew almost nothing about the plot.  Liked it a lot.  I'd watch it again.  Solid film making and story telling.  No over the top grandstanding-look-at-me acting moments.  Thumbs Up
  4. Zero Dark Thirty - My favorite of the year.  Incredible movie about a subject that brings up many conflicting emotions.  Thumbs Up
  5. The Hobbit - Silly.  I really wanted to like it but it's silly.  I'll provide a link to the book instead.  Thumbs down.
  6. Killing Them Softly - Gritty-Ugly-People-Gangster(GUPG) movie.  If you like that sort of thing (I do) you'll love it.  James Gandolfini steals the show playing the role of Mickey, a gangster who is past his prime and eats and drinks too much.  Turns out there was a lot of foreshadowing in that role, which is sad.  Overall I give it a thumbs up
  7. Django Unchained - I usually love everything Tarantino does.  This one, I'm not sure what it was but I found myself turning away from the screen during the final blood bath shoot out.  I wanted to love it, I just didn't.  What I really wanted to see was Christopher Waltz as Col. Landa trying to fit in on Nantucket Island.  Thumbs....not sure yet.  I abstain.
  8. Stand Up Guys - I'm not sure why I liked this so much.  It's a good bad movie.  Another one of those Gritty-Ugly-People Gangster(GUPG) movies.  Pacino and Walken didn't act very much, but I didn't mind.  Thumbs Up.  You can also find this streaming on Netflix.
  9. Gangster Squad - I really wanted to like this.  I didn't expect it to be life changing, but I was hopeful it'd be solid.  Didn't work for me.  Thumbs down.
  10. The Berlin File - Interesting, but I'm not 100% sure what happened.  It was this movie that made me realize I should never look at my phone during a movie with subtitles.  It was different and not bad, so thumbs up.
  11. Skyfall - Daniel Craig's physique puts all 40+ year old men to shame.  Probably most of the 30+ and 20+ men too.  Fun movie.  It was great to see Javier Bardem as a bad guy again.  Thumbs up.
  12. Side Effects - Warning, this movie may cause excessive eye rolling.  Thumbs down.
  13. Evil Dead - Walked out of it.  Thumbs down.
  14. The Place Beyond The Pines - Amazing.  I will definitely watch this movie again.   Thumbs Up.
  15. The Iceman - Another Gritty-Ugly-People gangster movie.  The acting is great but the main character is a bad guy who's...a bad guy.  There are a few scene's where he's conflicted about the things he has done but...that's what happens.  I cheered when he got caught at the end.  If you don't like GUPG movies, this isn't for you.  Otherwise, thumbs slightly up.
  16. This Is The End - This was my first Seth Rogan movie.  I'll steer away from anything else he does, but I was entertained.  I could have done without the gross-out comedy bits but that's what some people are paying to see.  I get that.  Still, thumbs up.  Like I said, it made me laugh.
  17. Monster's U - It's hard to be objective about this because it's the first movie my wife and I took my daughter to see in a theater.  She was equal parts entertained and frightened.  We had fun.  Thumbs up.
  18. You're Next - Slasher horror film.  Different.  Campy.  I enjoyed it.  Sometimes movies trick you into cheering for the bad guy but you gotta pull for Erin in this one from start to finish.
  19. Grand Master - Beautiful.  Three intertwining plots that each could have been their own movie.  Really had to pay attention (No phone during sub-titled movies!) but I enjoyed it a lot.  Thumbs up.
  20. Gravity - Fantastic.  One of those rare movies where I think to myself, "Okay, maybe 3D isn't a complete waste of time."  If you're a selective pendant about how the laws of physic are portrayed in movies, then do us all a favor and don't see it.  For me, thumbs up!
  21. Old Boy (2013) - The new one, not the old one.  Meh.  I guess I'll see the original one of these days since it is so highly regarded.  But as far as the Spike Lee remake that I saw, thumbs down.

No comments:

Post a Comment